Wednesday, August 8, 2012

On the Topic of Chick-fil-A

I have had a friend in the gay community block me of FaceBook and call me a bigot because of the fact that I like Chick-fil-A. I don't really want to be political at all in my life, but apparently I have offended people so I am going to talk about this situation.

#1) My sister Julia is married to a wonderful lady, Sally Jackson. If we have a boy, we're naming him Jax Abraham after my sister-in-law and his father. I have many dear friends as well as quite a few relatives who are attracted to and/or are in committed relationships with people of their own gender. I love these people dearly and as far as I know have never discriminated against them or treated them any differently than family or friends who are hetrosexual. 

#2) I like Chick-fil-A. I like their food. I like the fact that they are a Christian based organization. I like that when I go to their restaurants, I am always greeted warmly and treated better than any other fast food company I've been to, heck... better than even expensive restaurants that I have been to. They are a company that closes on Sunday to honor the Sabbath. I support that 100%. I haven't even heard the CEO's comment that was apparently anti-GLTB, but I must ask, no matter what it was, does it *really* shock you that a man who is not only a conservative Christian from the Southern States (fondly known as the Bible Belt) who is over 80 years old would say that (from what I understand) he believes in the traditional definition of marriage?

#3) I am registered at Target (another supposedly anti-GLTB organization) for my baby shower. I also shop at JC Penny, would shop at Macy's if Omaha had one, and I eat Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. These 3 companies are for the GLTB community. I purchase their products because I like what they sell.

#4) I will not be bullied into not liking something because people I know would be hurt by my support of it. I'm sorry, but if Chick-fil-A's stance offends you to the point of not going there, DON'T GO THERE. Don't try to force and coerce and guilt-trip people you love into not going someplace they would normally go and have liked for years because that's what you believe is right. I am a Christian and I don't cram my beliefs and ideals down others throats, and I expect the same courtesy in return.

#5) I think this whole topic is overblown. I think that the "famous" Christians in America and even the non-famous ones who take pictures of themselves eating and or drinking Chick-fil-A products is rather immature. But they have the right to speak their mind and the right to share pictures in public forums of them doing so. Eating food from a restaurant where the CEO has made a stance based on his morals and beliefs does not violate anyone else's rights.

That is all. If this offends you, please feel free to comment or whatever you feel necessary. I am not a bigot, and I am tired of having myself and fellow Christians being trampled on because we believe in following Christ's instruction to "turn the other cheek". If you feel my stance (as a Christian) is unacceptable and chose like my (now former) friend to block me and tell me "have a nice life", consider your own actions and ask yourself who is *really* being bigoted?

No comments:

Post a Comment